Tuesday 30 September 2014

Marathon Number 1: The Berlin Marathon


This race, was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I have taken part in some incredible marathons, London, Paris, Dublin to name a few. I never thought anything would come close or even top London. For me, Berlin did just that. I tried for 5 years to get a ballot place. I soon realised that getting into the bigger marathons was more challenging than actually running one! Even more so with the World Major Marathons. I knew my only way in was through a charity place. I got my place via Sense during my training for the Brighton Marathon, and I could think of anything else.

I flew to Berlin straight from work on Friday, with my trusted travelling friend Laura. We landed at some ridiculous hour, and got ourselves to our hotel like a pair of professional travellers.

The marathon Expo was amazing! It was in an airport. It was huge! I just walked around grabbing all the free stuff I could carry, tasting every power bar, energy juice going, my race number was securely in my hands, I'd taken a thousand selfies holding it, used up my data roaming posting it all over social media now all I had to do was eat, eat and eat.

I just love running races outside the UK. What's more, I love the Germans! So running a race in Germany was always going to be a winner for me. We had about a 30min train journey to the start of the race. It was 6.30am and the train carriages were a mixture of marathon runners and people on their way home from partying or still partying. Berlin loves to party!! What a funny mix of people right there!! Soon enough our stop was here. We walked with thousands of other runners to the race village. Laura could only go so far with me, then I was on my own. I wouldn't see her again for at least 5 hours.

I found myself a tree to stretch against and just took soaked up the atmosphere. People just getting changed anywhere and everywhere! There were bare bums and other naked parts on display left, right and centre. Europeans just don't care! That's what I love.

I made my way to my starting pen, where I actually had a bit of a meltdown. This usually happens to me at some point during a marathon, though it's usually 20 miles in. I just couldn't believe what I was about to do. When you have dreamed of wanting something so bad, for so long, and it's happening, it is very overwhelming. I sooner snapped myself out of it when the trashy Euro music was being played loud and proud for the warm up. It was like the 'Eurovision Song Contest', on tour!! Then before I knew it, the gun was fired, thousands of balloons were released into the air, this was it. So excited. I was ready for this. I wanted to soak up every second of it, every mile!

The course was as flat as they said it would be. I never felt like there was any challenging moments to the race, other than just completing the 26.2 miles. I never doubted for a second that I would finish. The crowds were incredible and so supportive. I loved hearing "Go Kerry!!", "Super Kerry!" Being shouted in a German accent.

The only time I started to struggle was in the last 3 miles. Up until then, my body just felt amazing. I really had to focus hard on imagining that medal in my hand to get me through the final stretch. For as long as I live I will never forget the last 400 yards of the race. Even 6 hours into the race, there were thousands of people stood cheering the finishers. As soon as I was about to run through the Brandenburg Gate, I couldn't hold back the tears. I was so proud. So happy. I held the emotion in until I stepped over the finish line, then I just broke down. I couldn't stop crying. I was so happy. The lady who handed me my medal, grabbed hold of me, and in broken English was trying to ask me why I was crying. I just simply told her I was so happy. She hugged me for about 3 minutes while I sobbed, it was a little bit awkward, but she didn't seem to mind.

So there you have it. Marathon number one completed. The challenge has begun. I have a long road ahead of me. Looking forward to seeing how it pans out.



                       Please sponsor me at by clicking here!

No comments:

Post a Comment