Monday 9 March 2015

Milton Keynes Half Marathon


There is something about this race that makes me keep coming back to it.  This is the third consecutive year I have done it.  I can't even quite put my finger on what it is.  It's in Milton Keynes, so it's not the most glamorous of half marathons.  They aren't thousands of people lined up in the streets shouting your name, and I have always been very disappointed by the medal.  There is however a lovely lake to run around, and despite all the concrete and roundabouts, it is actually quite green. The first time I ever did this I got a PB and I have not been able to get anywhere near it since. 

I arrived in Milton Keynes for about 9:30am.  The race wasn't starting until 10:50am so I had plenty of time. I casually strolled up to the race village, to suddenly see a herd of runners coming down along the start. The race had started!! Well, don't panic, it hadn't! It was the 20 mile runners start.  I didn't know there was an option to run a 20 mile distance. Totally gutted as I would have loved to have done it.  I have noticed this year that there is a lot more 20 mile races to enter, so I need to remember this for next year!  

Got myself into what was a bloody freezing cold starting line, and was feeling pretty confident. I was looking forward to doing this race.  Off went the gun and off went.  I felt great. My body was playing ball. Found a nice comfortable pace really early.  It usually takes me a good 3-5 miles to feel relaxed into my pace. Then just passed mile 5 and I felt like someone had jabbed my in the stomach with a knife.  I had the worst stitch.  I tried to walk it off and every time I thought I had got shot of it, and started to run again, it would come straight back. Why? I have never experienced this before. This was it for the rest of the race.  Annoyed is not even the word!  I got to about mile 9 and I found myself running alongside a guy that I know from Instagram. I just love meeting other runners I follow from Instagram. It was just what I needed. He talked and walked and ran and talked a lot more with me until the finish.  He was great support.  We managed a sprint finish too.  Probably wouldn't have managed that if I was finishing on my own.

 I really thought I was in for an over 3 hours half marathon and was feeling so gutted about it, but I was just under 3 hours so was not all bad. Well, still got great, but better that I was dreading.  Next stop BARCELONA :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment