Wednesday 21 October 2015

Marathon Number 10: The Robin Hood Marathon


I have never been to Nottingham before, and I purposely didn't read too much about the race or the course. I just thought that I would take what ever was thrown at me.  The only thing that I had done was Google the medal, this was enough,as it looked fab! I travelled up late Saturday evening.  The town was pumping with party people, and I was greeted at the station beer fuelled brawl. It was only 9.30pm! Where the hell was I!? I just hoped my hotel was far enough away from the city centre so I could get some sleep. Thankfully it was!

As per usual it was a very early start to the morning. As I didn't have a clue where I was I got up extra early to ensure I got to the start on time.  It was a really foggy morning, and really cold.  It looked like this was the weather for the day!  I had booked myself a taxi the night before, but it hadn't turned up. As I went to complain a guy checking out kindly offered me a lift.  I don't often go jumping into strangers cars, but he was running too! You can always trust a runner! He was good company and seemed really interested in the challenge I was doing.  It was good to have someone to talk to.  He got me to the start safe and sound, and we wished each other good luck and parted ways! This is seriously why I love the running community so much! So supportive and awesome.

I had plenty of time to drop off my bag and go position myself in the start line. I felt good, positive and was looking forward to the race. The gun was fired in no time and off we went.  First 5 miles were steady and comfortable. It was really well supported! Everyone was really friendly from the crowds. Then suddenly the fog lifted and it became really sunny and warm, though it was only 10.30am, I knew that this meant by the afternoon it would be hot and I would be burnt! Once again, I failed to put the sunblock on! BIG FAIL. I turned a corner, to be met by a bastard of a hill. It was monster!! and came out of nowhere!  It really exposed my lack of training and running, as it killed me, and was causing my back a lot of pain. I had to result in walking up it as I thought there was no point in burning myself out on a hill so early on,  Once I got to the top it was a long hill down. I got my breathing under control and got myself back into a steady pace. Thankfully the pain in my back eased off and I felt comfortable to carry on.


The first half of the race was really lovely! It ran through a beautiful park, and the grounds of the University and even though the weather was now very hot, it was really enjoyable.  At mile 11, I ran with a girl who was running the half marathon.  She was running for her Dad, who had a terminal illness. Sometimes I am glad I am a slow runner at the back, because I meet such amazing people, with heart breaking stories. It really makes me realise how lucky I am. As we passed the 12 mile mark, there was an option to go on ahead to the finish, if you were running the half, or a sharp turn left to go on complete the rest of the marathon. I would be lying if I said I wasn't tempted to finish there and then, but we all know that I wouldn't that! Though, having what happened next, I really wish I had. Having taken the sharp left, the race ran along a canal. There was no marshals or signs along here, and there were no runners ahead or behind me. I just assumed that I should keep running ahead. After about 20 minutes, something just didn't feel right. It was too quiet, and I didn't feel like I was in the race any more. Then some people on the other side of the canal shouted over to me that I was going in the wrong direction. I literally wanted to jump in the canal. I was so angry. I started making my way back, when I bumped into 2 other runners.  They were making the same mistake as me! We ran all the way back and eventually got back onto the course.  I managed to run comfortably to mile 17 but my body was starting to hurt now, particularly my feet. I could feel it was going to be another farewell to a toenail. I stayed with the 2 other runners as they had slowed down now too, but I needed the company to get to the end. Then at mile 18 we picked up another lady who had also fallen victim to going the wrong way, but at a different point to us. So now we were 3 strong.

Losing that time from running in the wrong direction was disastrous because as we approached mile 19, all the marshals where finishing and the signs and water stations were gone! We were on our own. We were having to second guess the route, and asking the guys picking up the road traffic cones to point us in the right direction. We then caught up with a guy who was literally unpinning his race number as we got to him. He was about to give up! It was his first marathon and was having a dreadful time. We lifted his spirits up and convinced him to put it back on and finish with us. So there was 5 of us now, all complete strangers, helping each other out. It was so uplifting. The last 4 miles had to be finished on the pavement as the roads were being re-opened.  I was slightly worried as this had never happened to me before, and I worried it meant we were out of the race, although no sweeper car had passed us. All I cared about was getting the medal. They can take the time away from me, but not the medal. Then with 1 mile to go, we had the events manager finish the race with us, to make sure we got a medal and a finishing time at the end, as they were threatening us with being pulled out, but he made sure we were allowed to officially finish, phew!!

What an experience and what a race! It had it's difficult parts, but all I care about is I have now completed 10 marathons. I am into double figures. It really feels like an achievement now. I have a few weeks rest and then I have my last non UK marathon, Frankfurt! I am so excited about it. Berlin was so amazing, I hope it is just as good!

No comments:

Post a Comment