Friday 3 April 2015

3 Marathons in 3 weeks



It seems that running 15 marathons in 15 months just isn't enough of a challenge for me!  There are many more challenges within the 15 marathons.  Now that April has arrived, I find myself staring at the biggest part of this challenge. Running the London Marathon blindfolded?  Well that is not even the half of it.  I have decided to run 3 marathons over 3 consecutive Sundays!!  Brighton, Manchester and then London blindfolded.

When I woke up on the first morning of April, the first thing that popped into my head, was the fact that I would be running 3 marathons this month. I mean, who the hell do I think I am? Can I even manage to run 3 marathons in 3 months?  Let's not forget that I only completed the Barcelona Marathon 4 weeks ago. Technically my body is still recovery from this.  Yet there is something inside of me that is screaming at me like a wild animal that I will not fail at this. I know there are a few people who are a little bit concerned for me taking on these three marathons, in such a short space of time, but I don't doubt for any second that I can this.  Just because I am not the fastest runner, or the greatest runner that ever ran, does not stop me from taking this on.  

I remember being at mile 10 last year, during the Brighton Marathon, there was a guy running next to me with a huge tiger (not a real one!) strapped to his back.  He told me that he was planning to run the Manchester and London Marathons as well.  I remember thinking how insane he must be, not for just running with a tiger strapped to him, but that he was doing all 3 marathons.  I distinctly thinking to myself, there is no way I would ever be able to do anything like that.  Well I must have grown the biggest pair of balls in just under a year, because here I am, about to do those very same marathons, and one of them I am going to be running BLINDFOLDED.

Scared

Yes I am very confident that I will achieve this goal, but I can't lie and say that I am not scared because I am shitting myself.  I'm not really that scared of the physical pain because I am use to it now.  I have learnt how to deal with it.  It's the mental pain.  I suffered so badly during the week after Barcelona with mental exhaustion.  I found myself crying over the most ridiculous things. I ran out of milk for my breakfast, I cried about it.  I couldn't find my stapler on my desk, I cried about it. I pierced a hole in my shoe, then had to bin them, and boy did I cry over that.  I know that this was partly because of getting sunburnt, and having to fly back straight after Barcelona and going back to work Monday morning. It did take me a whole week to actually start feeling myself again.

I think the best thing to do is just take it one marathon at a time.  I have to put Manchester and London out of my head and just focus on Brighton.  I am not running for a PB on any of these races, just to finish happy, injury free and continue to raise the money for Sense.





                    Please sponsor me at by clicking here!

No comments:

Post a Comment