Sunday 31 May 2015

Marathon Number 8: The Kent Roadrunner Marathon


Wow they seem to coming and going so quickly now! I can't believe that I have just completed marathon number 8.  I have been desperate to give this marathon a try. I was unable to get a place last year, as it is a very popular race, and sells out fast. I was determined to get a place this year and to include it in my challenge.  The more marathons I run, the more I am starting to love the small, low key races.  Marathon runners are incredible people and I love being surrounded by them. It takes a special kind of person to be able to complete 26.2 miles.  Yesterday's race was full of these special people.I didn't know much about this race, other than you get an incredible medal at the end.  I was soon to learn that the race was made up of 17 laps!  I struggle doing half marathons when they consist of 2 laps. So I had no idea how I was going to get my head around 17 laps. Needless to say this didn't put me off, as every marathon I do has it's own challenge.

I have to admit that I haven't done any running since The London Marathon.  I have suffered some serious exhaustion since that race.  Which has been infuriating, because my mind has been screaming to go out running, but my body has not been having any of it, and I had to be sensible and listen to it.  I have managed a few outdoor swims, which as been good. So I haven't exactly been doing nothing over the last month.  I am fully aware that I am taking part in my first swimming event, The Great London Swim in July, so I can't neglect this training.  Despite the lack of running, I arrived at the Cyclopark, in Kent with a healthy, positive mind. I was looking forward to completing another marathon.  As soon as I arrived I felt overwhelmed by the friendly atmosphere.  I collected my race number and found a bench to perch on to get myself ready. Even seeing the race number excited me! The best one I've ever had. Sometimes the attention to detail can make a huge difference.


I got myself positioned in the starting line ready for the off. I was approached by a few runners who I have met in previous races.  It's great that I am starting to see the same faces at races. It makes me feel much more relaxed, it's also nice having people to chat to, as I do these events on my own.  There was nothing intimidating about this race at all. Most runners were wearing the official Roadrunner vest, which looked awesome. If I wasn't wearing my charity vest, I would have got me one. Everybody looked brilliant. The gun went off in no time and we were off! To begin with I felt ok, the first lap was done very quickly.  To help us with counting down the laps, we were given 16 wrist bands to wear.  You had to take one off and throw it in a bucket just before you ran through the next lap.  So there was no mile markers.  I really liked this approach. Though I found myself constantly staring down at my wrist bands and counting how many I had left.

After the 3rd lap, I started to feel the effects from the lack of training. I was still so exhausted. I could have laid down in the grass and had a nap.  This meant I was having to start walking parts of it.  It was so frustrating. Everybody that passed me was super encouraging. I was so blown away by people taking the time to speak to me. This really kept me going.  Even the fastest of runners were taking the time to shout "Keep going Kerry!", " You're doing amazing Kerry, Keep going".  Lots of runners even took the time to run with me at certain points. I just needed energy. I was taking energy gels, the free jelly shots on offer, juice you name it.  After the 6th lap I got an huge wave of energy and was able pick my feet up again.

One of the things that kept me focused was looking forward to taking off a band and throwing it into the bucket.  Though the bands caused great OCD problems though.  They were all a random of colours.  I would spend each lap seriously deciding on what colour to throw next. I took half of them off and put them on my other wrist, to make sure I had even amount of colours. I somehow thought this may trick my mind into thinking I don't have as many laps to go. This didn't work at all, so I put them all back on one wrist. Then my dilemma was what colours to get rid of first,  There was only one orange band so I had decided to make that the last band, as it was fitting with my charity colour.  Yep, I was beginning to loose it! This bands were controlling my mind. There was a point where I felt like I had done loads of laps but still had loads of bands left. I just kept counting them over and over again. I must admit it did feel awesome when I was down to the last few.



Support


I  would not have completed this race had it not been for the amazing support I got from literally everybody. There wasn't thousands of spectators at the event, but the support that was there were people supporting their friends and loved ones, but they offered great support to everyone.  I was very well aware that I was almost last in the race and that I was going to finish well over 6 hours.  I just had to accept this and finish it regardless.  The supporters never made me feel ashamed or embarrassed. They just praised and encouraged.  There were 2 guys that were marshaling at the far end of the course.  They were simply brilliant. I looked forward to running passed them every time.  They would always make me laugh and list my spirits. There was only one drink/food station too and the people handing out the drinks were brilliant too!  As people were starting to finish the race the course was getting less and less busy. When I was down to my last 3 laps, there was hardly any runners left.  This meant I could sing loudly to my hearts content without offending anyone. I was shocked to see that I still had a lot support cheering me on. This put a rocket up my backside and started to pick up the pace.  I just wanted it to end now. Soon enough I had just one wrist band left. The orange one. Though I didn't want to throw it in the bucket, I wanted to keep it. So I stuffed it into my pocket and began my journey into the last lap.



To the Finish

Everyone was cheering me on, shouting my name even more. I blocked out every bit of pain and I ran hard. I had tears of joy and pain rolling down my face for the whole last lap, and just thanked everyone I passed for their support. I ran passed the 2 guys for the last time and was nearly home straight.  I forgot to mention that there was a cheeky little hill just before the race lapped.  To begin with it wasn't so bad, but once you have ran up it 17 times it felt like the Great Mountain of Kent!.  The very last time I had to run up it felt like someone had lifted it up and extended it 10 times longer than it was. Once I got to the top I thought I was going to vomit it hurt so much, what stopped me was seeing the end in sight.  I pulled out my headphones to sock up the last few yards. Just as I did that I had the pleasure of yet another seagull deposit his bottom on my head and the back of my arms (This happened during the Brighton Marathon in April) Great! I am about to cross another finish line covered in bird poop! Who cares! I just wanted that medal in my hands. The crowd were cheering now like I was first so I focused my energy and managed a sprint finish. Another runner handed me my medal. I wanted to give her such a huge hug, but I was aware that I was splattered in poop.  The medal is just simply incredible! Worth every lap for sure.


It felt great to finish.  Though I was really gutted about how long it took me, I can't really be surprised by this.  It is my own fault.  I do however want to come back next year and do this one again. I know I can do better. I will make it my years plan to train hard and come back fighting. The event is fantastically organised and all the people involved make you want to come back. I can't thank them all enough.  I would seriously recommend this race! Even as a first marathon, I think it's perfect for a beginner. Thanks a lot Kent Roadrunner. See you next year!!













                           Please sponsor me at by clicking here!

No comments:

Post a Comment