Sunday 25 January 2015

Marathon Number 3 : The Vikings, Saxons and Normans Coastal Marathon

They say big things come in small packages. Well that was certainly the case with today's Marathon. Very slow key race and only a handful of runners, but an incredibly well organised race! From the second I arrived I felt like I already knew everyone. People were so friendly. I love meeting other runners, but what I love more is meeting other marathon runners. They are just a different breed of people. Fighters, very strong people!! Having now completed 8 marathons I'm now starting to really feel like one. 

Wasn't sure how I was going to cope with this race as it was basically 4 loops of 10ks, but actually it was good because as I'm a slower runner I wasn't trailing behind at the back on my own. With runners constantly running back down the other side I never felt lonely, and they all took the effort to speak to me and encourage me. Even the guy leading spoke to me every time he passed me. Not sure he even realises how much that meant to me. 

These runners are totally on another level. You think me running 15 marathons over 15 months is insane. Most people had done the double and ran yesterday's marathon too. Runners who had ran 10 MARATHONS in 10 DAYS..that's right DAYS. There were also loads of runner from the 100 marathon club. One runner was celebrating his 100th marathon today. How great to have been apart of that with him. Makes what I'm doing look pathetic. Though lots of today's marathon runners asked me about my challenge and were very supportive. One thing I always have to remind myself is we are all on different journeys. Though I'm not gonna lie, I'm slowly starting to feel the desire to be a member of the 100 marathon club. What an achievement that is!! 

With the race being so repetitive it's hard to remember much of it. Though, a funny point was I needed a wee for most of the race and at about 18th mile couldn't hold it in any longer. So without much thought I leaped over a wall, pulled my pants down, started to go..then I heard a squark..I'd jumped into a field of swans!! I shit you not..A field FULL of god damn swans. There was one about a metre away and it just started at me..straight in the eye, while I was weeing. Neither of us was gonna break the eye contact. Not sure who was most shocked me or the Swan. Then my dilemma was..do I pull my pants up showing the swan my front bottom or turn around and show it my bare arse. Arse it was to be.. but as I turned around a whole family out for a Sunday stroll, complete with children and dogs got the money shot. FAIL. 

I met a blind runner today. Me, him and his guide stood and chatted at the start if the race. He was running today to qualify to run the Boston Marathon, and he achieved it. People are so inspiring. What an incredible guy!! His guide ran infront of him too. It was interesting to see how they did it. 

So bit of a race break now. February I Needto get in the gym and concentrate on strength work. My legs need some work. Though it feels good to say marathon number 4 will be BARCELONA BABY!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment