Saturday 10 January 2015

My First Blindfolded Training


I did my first training blindfolded today. I set out to walk a mile, blindfolded round my local park. As my marathon guide, Abbie, lives t'up north I have a temporary stand it. My lovely friend Laura and she did a grand job. 

Honestly, I thought it would be easy. I'd stick the blindfold on, we'd be off and done in no time, and then off for tea and cake (which is what I'm rewarding my little helper with) Oh no, no, no!! It was extremely scary!! I suddenly felt so vulnerable, which I hate. I kept repeating "oh I don't like this, what have I done" Then what crept into my mind was how the fuck am I gonna do this for 26 miles?, while running too!! I had to concentrate so hard on my guides instructions, even though she walked me straight into a bollard as soon as we set off!! "Oops, sorry I forgot" she said Good start! 


I soon became very aware of how hightened my other senses had become. My hearing for one. The things I could hear were incredible. When walked passed the tennis courts, I could hear a tennis balls being hit so clearly, like it they were right next to me. I run through this park all the time and never heard this before and the courts are always busy with players.I could hear things so far away in the distance too. Police sirens, dogs barking etc What was making me feel scared though, was hearing when people were going to walk or run passed me. Especially from behind. I could make out distant foot steps and zone in on them getting closer. I couldn't shake off the worry I was going to walk into someone. I must have gained a little confidence after a while as my guide informed me that my walking speed had increased. Which must have happened subconsciously. Then I heard my Garmin bleep telling us we'd done a mile. That's it. Mile done.

So I have walked in the foot steps of a visually impaired/blind person. Having now experienced this, I have never felt more determined to do this. Even though it has scared me so much. My admiration for blind and visually impaired people, who carry on leading a normal lives is unreal. I see runners at all the events I do with all kinds of disabilities, blind runners, amputees, double amputees, Downs Syndrome runners etc. Disability is not stopping them from leading a normal life. They are just getting on with it and not letting it stop them for living!! So I gotta shut the fuck up, take their lead and get on with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment