Thursday 1 January 2015

Serpentine New Years Day 10k

What better way to start the New Year than with a 10k. As soon as I saw this advertised I signed up to it without a second thought. Even more so for the fact that it was in London. Having been quite sick over the christmas holidays, I was unsure I would make it in the end. I haven’t actually been able to get out and run for a while so I was unsure how my body would hold up to this. 

Having to set my alarm for 7am for New Years Day was quite painful. The sacrifices of doing this race meant I had to say no to any kind of New Years Eve celebrations. It was quite difficult laying in bed, listening to the fireworks going off all over London at Midnight. They seemed to be endless. I couldn’t shake off the mental image of everybody out there, partying, having a good time, while I am here, in bed. I was sure I was in for a long night, fighting to get any sleep. 

I was less than happy when the alarm finally went off. My immediate thought was, “ah fuck this”. I tried to come up with a million reasons to get out of this race. “I didn’t wake up on time”, “I am still sick’, “I am just too tired” or how about “I am just a lazy fucking wit” Though, I know that excuses just do not cut it. I had to just get up and do it, and with all that negative thinking, it was now 8.30am. Time to move it. Plus, there is a certain someone out there would not let me live this down if I cancelled this race (you know who you are!!) I’d face ridicule for the next 12 months. So for that reason alone, I got my arse out there front door, with the mind set of “I’ll Show you”

As I arrived at my destination at Hyde Park Corner, I became super excited as I realised the 10k would be running near the Winter Wonderland, in Hyde Park. It was so exciting to be there so early. Hardly anyone there. It was lovely to be able to leisurely walk through it. As excited I was starting to feel, it hadn’t gone unnoticed on how cold it was. Actually it wasn’t cold it was freeeeeezing!! it’s the 1st of January, what did I expect? 

I collected my race number, dropped off my bag and within no time at all, it was time to make my way to the start. I felt pretty good. I just told myself to do the best I could. No pressures at all, and before I knew it, the gun was fired. 

NO MEDAL!!!!

The first 5k was fine. The route was pretty flat, so it wasn’t particularly challenging, but I could really feel the impact on my body, which was still recovering from being sick. It was just too soon to be running and I knew that. I had to slow myself right down, I got so angry with myself for this, but had to reassure me that it was ok. I had been unwell for god sake. 

One thing I had noticed, was that this was quite a serious race. It wasn’t very friendly at all. Only a handful of marshals were friendly. The rest of them did not acknowledge me at all. I was letting this impact my mood too. I just kept telling myself, it’ll be over soon, get my medal, get myself a sweet treat from Winter Wonderland and I can go home. The finish was in sight. Thank god!! It is over. Usually I am full of fight at the end, but i had nothing left to give. No sprint finish. Just a low key, thank god it’s over finish. I walked over to a guy who had medals in his hand, only to be shrugged off, very rudely and told I couldn’t have one! ERM..WHAT!!?? There was another man next to him who handed me some flimsy, crap quality red draw string bag. I literally thought it was a joke. I asked the man if I could have a medal and was told “no these are for the 3k fun runners!!” 3k fucking fun runners?? Are you literally having a laugh? I have just ran 10k on New Years day in the freezing cold, to be mugged off with a bag that looks like a prize from a Christmas Cracker!? What the hell has my race fee paid for exactly? There was no road closures or anything. I appreciate not everyone cares about getting a medal, but I do. I like to have something to hang up so that I can look at it to remind myself of how well I am doing. I bloody love a medal! Even if it’s poor quality. I probably would have accepted there was no medal a bit better had I been spoken to in a better way. 
I will not be taking part in anymore Serpentine Races. Not that I can imagine they care. It seemed like a super serious race, for faster runners. Looking on the positive positive side, I got myself out of bed on New Years Day, and I ran a 10k. I have to be happy with myself for that. Though I ended up with a dreadful finishing time of 01:17:28, I won’t dwell on it too much. Just have to look towards Marathon number 3 now, which is 3 weeks away.









                        Please sponsor me at by clicking here!


No comments:

Post a Comment